THE SCHOOL DISTRICT OF PHILADELPHIA
THE ARTS ACADEMY AT BENJAMIN RUSH
11081 Knights Road
Philadelphia, PA 19154
JESSICA M. BROWN 215-281-2603 (telephone)
Principal 215-281-2674 (fax)
Re: Student assignments/lateness policy
Thank you for your continued support. I wanted to mention some recent updates.
In an effort to address lateness for class and home assignments, we have decided to institute a school-wide lateness policy for work. The policy is as follows:
• Students handing in late homework will be marked half off per every day late. Students have two days to finish the homework, after these two days the assignment will not be accepted.
• Projects – Students will be marked 10% off every day late, after a week, projects will not be accepted.
MAKE UP Policy:
• Makeup policy for absences : Absent 1 day = 1 day extension.
• Absent two days = Two day extension. Work must be turned in at the beginning of class.
• Makeup policy for tests – Time frame is up to the teacher.
*Please note that exceptions will be taken into consideration by teachers.
The faculty at The Arts Academy believe that every student should be able to meet the above policy, and it was created with the best interest of the student in mind. Homework/projects and class assignments support current studies and set the stage for further learning. Students lose too much understanding when they complete assignments in a rush.
We addressed this institution of a lateness policy in a town meeting on Friday, January 22nd, 2009, at the school. We are hoping to gain your support by emphasizing the importance of completing homework and projects by the deadlines in place. Again, we feel that this will also better prepare students for the future and college courses. If you have any questions concerning this policy, please feel free to contact me at your earliest convenience.
Jessica M. Brown